Friday, September 24, 2004

the usual

---An argument with my father---

I get in the car.

(a while)
Can you send me out tomorrow?
What time?
Seven?
(nods silently)
(long pause)
In school you got do revision now or not?
Huh? What do you mean?
In school la. What is your school doing now? Are they doing revision now or still teaching you new stuff la.
(pause) Both.
How can your school be like that. Should be doing revision now you know.
Tell the school la.
(agitation) But that’s what they should be doing now. What do you mean ‘tell the school’ you should be the one asking them. Why do you always give me this kind of answer.
Because you’re the one always making demands what.
(silence)



the usual silence the rest of the ride home. He explodes at home to my mum. He tells her I can jolly well go out myself tomorrow. I can still hear him shouting as I bathe. He asks my mum to teach me how to talk properly and calls me a bastard, among other things. I try to maintain levity. I have an early day tomorrow.