Monday, August 30, 2004

weekend in e library

From today, we’ve got ten weeks to As, which makes for about a week a subject including s paper and that’s cutting it close for the weaker subjects… nobody really seems bothered abt it tho, at least not enough to actually contemplate real studying. We’re having a class outing tmrw to Kallang SSC to bowl, for goodness sake! And E8 isnt even over yet.

Went out myself the past two days. Felt kinda lonely and truthfully quite pathetic. No money to really spend. In town there’s really only two things to do. Generally, it’d be either spending money, or going to the library. Or yah actually there’s also window shopping but then its never really window shopping is it… I always end up buying something. I bought two cds yay!! Keane’s hopes and dreams and incubus’ fungus amongus… wow so surprised to find fungus amongus at all! Its like incubus’ first album and so old already… anyway I thank God for leading me to that wonderful shop Gramophone in paragon, and so that I could save $8 on cds. Everybody, let’s welcome the new Teen Choice music store of 2004/2005… go to gramophone… without music life would be a mistake… gramophone singapore pls pay me premiums for advertising for you…

Keane is so good!!!! His voice is like coffee cream!!! Omigods I cant get enough of Somewhere Only We Know right now… I would prob cry listening to it if I let myself… MMMMmMMmMmmmmhh!!! So bone-achingly haunting, so sweetly anguished, the tenets of intangible sorrow and joy wrapped up in verse and voice, chord and cymbal. Every cent I spent on him is worth it.

Everyone, please go buy keane. And an econopack of tissue.

Being out by myself let me learn two things. Being content is being happy in the things you do, no matter what you think your friends may say if they knew or how the people immediately around you may look at you. Like staying in the library for two days straight. In the middle of orchard. (Orchard! Ppl will gasp. You mean u go all the way to orchard just to sit in the library for hours and hours and hours!? Yes, do that did I) There is a peace in books, a peace that does not come with wrangling over prices in shops, or imagining urself in those clothes you could never afford, or walking past cafes selling coffee that would rightly burn a hole in your wallet and then carry on eating up ur pocket until u’re left clutching your zipper to your undies and there’s two weird cloth rings around your ankles. Industrial strength Fabric-Eating Coffee!! Rejoice one and all. Anyways, sitting in the library is very soothing, with the right book, I was reading Vacuum Diagrams by stephen baxter, and I wouldn’t mind staying there the whole day if my butt dint start aching after an hour of sitting down.

Can u imagine ppl study at orchard library? They bring their books and sit down on the floor and start doing work at the cushioned benches lining the glass walls. Gosh I just feel like kicking them and feeding their bloody homework into the book return slot. Cant they see the study culture only extends around the café galilee tables? The benches are for my ass and other readers’ asses, not for your vision-impaired homework business…

Today I did a good deed. I helped this promotion girl in cold storage to move a tv set. It was part of her promotion gig and she was struggling to move it into a trolley. So I came up and said hey can I help u with that and she smiled with relief, then I moved it back onto the table and stood there adjusting it to face forwards. Only then she told me she was trying to move it into the trolley. I think at this point I made a strangled noise and looked at the ceiling, but I cant really remember cos I think my brain melted in the heat of embarrassment. But oh my gosh she was so pretty!! She had that kind of perfect apple face and flawless skin (haha but I could see where the foundation was a bit uneven so it wasn’t really flawless). I could say things about the length of her skirt too… it was way way too short. But I gotta admit she was really pretty… but when she thanked me for my help suddenly my regard of her dropped a few degrees, no pun intended. she went ‘Tang Kiu!’ in a super ahlian act cute wannabe tone and beamed at me. But I was already walking away and said ‘that’s alright’ and grinned as casually as possible. Maybe it was surprise… or disgust. I dunno. She looked very intelligent (and pretty), but somehow the ahlian inflection in that ‘thank you’ just warped her into a shallow mindedness I dint expect. A bit later while walking ard cold storage I saw her again cos she ended shift. She’d changed into a calf length skirt, and she saw me too. Somehow she dint look so pretty anymore.